PROTECT HUMMINGBIRDS FROM TOXINS IN FEEDER FOOD MIXES
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN RED DYE FREE
ORGANIC HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER FOOD
- Mix 1 part organic sugar with 4 parts water (filtered if possible) in a saucepan.
- On medium high heat stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Let it come to a boil to kill any bacteria or mold present.
- Cool and fill feeder with a funnel.
- Extra sugar water may be stored in a refrigerator.
- Red dye should not be added!
- The hummingbirds will find your feeder. We don't use it and the red coating has worn off the outside of the feeder jar and they still know if it's there. Was putting a new batch out, and one hungry female was practically eating before I could even hang the feeder. Watch out when the word gets out and you have a group of hummingbirds start fighting over it!
- Don't spray pesticide inside or outside of your home. Good for your family and neighbors. Talk to your landscapers too and tell them you want to be pesticide free. Landscapers are exposed on a daily basis and you going pesticide free helps them be pesticide free also. There can be 100% death at even half the dose allowed by government standards according to Dr. Jonathan Lundgren. (Watch videos below)
- Plant nectar flowers that beneficial insects love and need like milkweed for Monarch Butterflies and dill for Swallowtail Butterflies. More information on our Blue Monarch Butterfly Website:
www.bluemonarchproject.comThe numbers for the Western Migration are extremely low. After raising & releasing over 600 Monarch in 2017, we hope to increase that a lot and help get lots of organic milkweed and nectar plants in the ground or a pot wherever we can.
WATCH YOUR HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER FOR MOLD! EATING MOLD CAN KILL HUMMINGBIRDS!
ESPECIALLY DURING WARM MONTHS WHEN MOLD CAN MULTIPLY QUICKLY!
The mold can even live in small holes in the plastic so you may have to sanitize the feeder.
Ingredients found in over the counter hummingbird mixes.
Ingredients: Sucrose, Sodium Benzoate, (preservative), Tartaric Acid (preservative), and Artificial Food Coloring. USDA-approved red coloring is non-toxic and harmless to hummingbirds.
Just because the government approves it, doesn't mean we have to approve those ingredients or the pesticides and GMOs used on sugar crops.
IT'S EASY TO MAKE YOU OWN!
Trader Joes and Costco have great deals on organic sugar.
Why Organic Sugar and NO RED DYE is Important
"The most widely used food dye. While this is one of the most-tested food dyes, the key mouse tests were flawed and inconclusive. An FDA review committee acknowledged problems, but said evidence of harm was not "consistent" or "substantial." Red 40 can cause allergy-like reactions. Like other dyes, Red 40 is used mainly in junk foods."
Artificial Red Coloring Found In: Soda pop, candy, gelatin desserts, pastries, pet food, sausage, other products.
About FD&C RED 40: FD&C Red 40 is a synthetic dye produced from petroleum; this dye is FDA-approved for use in food, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
This ingredient may be derived from animals. From PETA'sCaring Consumer: Pigments from animal, plant, and synthetic sources used to color foods, cosmetics, and other products. Cochineal is from insects. Widely used FD&C and D&C colors are coaltar (bituminous coal) derivatives that are continously tested on animals due to their carcinogenic properties. Alternatives: grapes, beets, turmeric, saffron, carrots, chlorophyll, annatto, alkanet.
Synonym(s): RED 40, ALLURA RED AC; CI 16035; D&C RED 40; FD&C RED NO. 40; FOOD RED 17; ALLURA RED; ALLURA RED AC; C. I. 16035; C.I. FOOD RED 17; FD AND C RED NO. 40; FD&C RED NO. 40
As for non organic sugar. You have two kinds. GMO sugar beets that not only make their own poison, but are sprayed with Roundup and other pesticides during growth. Round is now on the California Prop 65 list as "cancer causing." As of 3 months ago, all products sold with glyphosate, an ingredient use in Roundup will have to display a "Cancer Warning."
The other kind of sugar which comes from sugar cane and is responsible for the destruction of all kinds of waterways, especially in Florida where algae blooms form after runoff from non organic sugar cane fields. Not only is various toxic pesticides used during growing, but sugar cane is sprayed with cancer causing Roundup right before harvest to kill and dry out all plants for faster harvest. A process called desiccation. The pesticide can penetrate deep into the plant and leave residues.
There are 100s of chemicals in Roundup more toxic than the glyphosate such as surfactant POEA that is not listed on the label and manufacturer doesn't have to tell. Groups are still trying to fight in court the hiding of these ingredients from customer, and have just recently lost another attempt. Some of my guests have told me even nuclear power waste that they don't want to pay high price to dispose is put in pesticides. That was an editor from an Organic Magazine out of Palm Springs. Can see if you scroll down: Click here.
This desiccation process is also being done to wheat, oats, beans, legumes, rice, and other grains. Causing an epidemic of Celiac Disease. Article here.
If you want to see the mutations caused in all kinds of wildlife from pesticide drift such as that from fast food industry potato crops, including tumors on birds, a ranger's wife documented over 25 years of research with pictures: Click here.
If you worry about too much iron in the sugar, then don't choose conventional or organic turbinado sugar, molasses, or other unprocessed sugars. More on sugar here. Iron is present in all unprocessed sugar because sugar can actually have nutrition.
USDA Organic is also free or very low (pesticide drift can contaminate a small amount) in toxic pesticides which is really just POISON. Some try to make it out that it is only organic sugar that is high in iron, but present in all unprocessed forms. Birds get pesticides from all over, they don't need it in something we have a choice to avoid.